UPPER SCHOOL: High School (9th–12th Grade)
BCCA offers a challenging academic program based on biblical values for 9th–12th graders. We want our students to be well prepared for their future by presenting them with relevant curriculum, electives, and extracurricular activities.
The Academies at Back Creek, the high school expansion of BCCA, began with its inaugural class in 2014. The purpose of the Academies is to offer a complete classical education for students beyond the eighth grade. Through individualized academic focus, service opportunities, and dedicated college counseling, students will be prepared to engage their culture as intelligent followers of Christ.
Classes are conversation-based and integrated curricula that encourages holistic learning and critical analysis, The Academies will further help students critique, develop, and articulate well-reasoned ideas.
Another prominent aspect of The Academies are short-term classes that allow students opportunities to explore their individual academic interest in various subjects. Students may choose to focus their attention on art, computer technology, math, or science. Two four-week block classes are also offered each year, during which students will study elected topics such as theatre art, computer programming, aquatic science, ethics of technology, and philosophy of science. Individualized academic focus, service opportunities, and dedicated college counseling will provide every possible resource for success well beyond high school graduation.
The Academies at Back Creek
- Prepare students to engage their culture as followers of Christ
- Use conversation-based classes and integrated curricula that encourage holistic learning and critical analysis
- Employ short-term classes that allow students opportunities
to explore their individual academic interests in various subjects’
- Enable students to develop, articulate and defend their own ideas and beliefs
- Embrace an individualized academic focus, service opportunities, and dedicated college counseling
The school year is divided into two Short Terms (4 weeks each) and two Long Terms (16 weeks each). Courses that meet all year are considered Full Term.
Each school day consists of six class periods.
Long and Short Term courses are 70 minutes in length. Full Term courses are 45 minutes in length. For your Short Term courses, you will choose from an array of electives that coincide with your chosen Academy. Because some courses may meet for two periods instead of one, students get opportunities to participate in class debates, hear guest speakers, and take off-campus trips.
The Short Terms provide opportunities for you to explore specific topics within your Academy while enjoying the company of others with similar interests.
Examples of Short Term Courses
- Science Innovations: Issues and Implications
- Science Innovations: Coding and Related Issues
- Introduction to Personal Finance
- Human Rights: Abuses, Contributing Factors, and Biblical Approaches
- Introduction to Ethics
- Personal Health and Wellness
- Study Skills
- Introduction to Robotics